What I'm Watching This Fall

Monday

8:30 - Partners (CBS)
9:00 - Gossip Girl (CW)
10:00 - Castle (ABC)
10:00 - Revolution (NBC)

I say it every year, and this year it's for real: I've stuck with Gossip Girl through it all, so I will see it through to the end of its final season... despite how awful it is. Well, that's not entirely true. Even though last week's season five finale did some interesting and unexpected things, it was mostly silly and left many characters in pretty much the same places they've been all along. But with only eleven episodes to wrap it all up, I'm hoping for a return to season one greatness.

I'm going to give Revolution a chance. It seems cool enough, but I was kind of bored after the three minute trailer, so that doesn't bode well for me with the series as a whole. I'm hoping it will not be mythology-heavy, as most of Abrams' series tend to be, so I can just enjoy an action series for once. But it doesn't look too promising based on the first footage released. Partners I just know I will love; welcome back, KoMut!

Tuesday

9:30 - The New Normal (NBC)
9:30 - Don't Trust the B- in Apt 23 (ABC)
10:00 - Vegas (CBS)

So far, there is an extreme lack of shows I'm interested in. I'm very excited for The New Normal, which looks pretty funny based on the trailer, and I will continue to enjoy Apt 23 (especially James Van Der Beek... he's utterly brilliant). Vegas sounds like something I could get into, but the first footage CBS released at upfronts was extremely underwhelming and slow-paced. But with so much star power, I can't imagine the show is bad; hopefully it's just an example of bad editing.

I'll sample Emily Owens, MD on the CW as well, but I'm not expecting to like it. I love Mamie Gummer though, so I'll give it an episode or two.

Wednesday

8:00 - Survivor: Phillippines (CBS)
8:00 - Arrow (CW)
10:00 - Nashville (ABC)

I'm excited to find out who the returning contestants are on the newest season of Survivor, because this spring's cycle was so boring I couldn't stand it. The show has been on the air so long that everyone there knows exactly what to say and do to play the game, so it's no longer interesting; it really does need returning players to inject some real experience and excitement into it. Arrow looks promising, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Green Arrow isn't a hugely popular character, and he's one I'm not terribly familiar with, so I'm excited for that child-like feeling I used to get reading comics and watching cartoons with new heroes I was just discovering; now it seems like the market is saturated with a bunch of the same old characters appearing over and over, so it'll be a nice change of pace.

Nashville will get a few episodes, soley based on the fact that it stars Connie Britton and Hayden Pannetierre. I'm not a country music person, so it may not end well, but I imagine these two ladies will be stellar, and that may be enough to keep me around.

Thursday

8:00 - The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
8:00 - The Vampire Diaries (CW)
8:00 - Last Resort (ABC)
9:00 - Beauty and the Beast (CW)
9:00 - Glee (FOX)
10:00 - Elementary (CBS)

Once again, Thursdays are the most crowded night on my DVR. Of the new shows, I'm actually most excited to see Last Resort. The trailer was great, and I'm intrigued by how the concept will play out over multiple episodes. It seems like a great idea for a film, so I'm wondering how it will develop and grow over thirteen episodes (or so). I'm not expecting stellar ratings, however, since it will face The Big Bang Theory and The X-Factor, so I'm leery of getting too invested. Then againg, it might turn out to be horrible and I won't have to worry about that.

Beauty and the Beast is still a mystery to me. The teaser footage was totally empty, but I liked the darkness of it all. Early script reviews were positive, but I just don't like Kristin Kreuk. I'm torn on it, but I'll give it a few episodes. Same with Elementary. The concept itself is interesting, and I liked the trailer (particularly what they showed of Jonny Lee Miller's performance). I just don't see it being something I look forward to watching every week.

Friday

8:00 - Whitney (NBC)
8:30 - Malibu Country (ABC)
9:00 - Grimm (NBC)
10:00 - Blue Bloods (CBS)

There are an abundance of CBS shows on my schedule this year, which almost never happens. I didn't particularly like the end of the Blue Bloods first season, so I didn't watch a few episodes of the second; but when I started watching again about midway through the season, I found the quality of the show was dramatically improving. Whitney got a miracle renewal, so I'll enjoy it no matter where it ends up on my schedule. I'm still shocked that I like the show considering how hard I was on it this time last year (based on trailer footage... you'd think I'd learn my lesson in judging shows so early on). And I love Reba, so Malibu Country is a must... especially with Lily Tomlin and Sara Rue also on board.

Sunday

8:00 - Once Upon a Time (ABC)
9:00 - Revenge (ABC)
9:30 - American Dad! (FOX)
10:00 - 666 Park Avenue (ABC)

I didn't plan on sticking with Once Upon a Time. Most of the first season bored me to tears; I'm not a Disney person, so I was never excited to see these revised backstories of popular characters, especially when it didn't make sense in the context of the show (Emma is the sheriff in a tiny town where no one can leave... how is she meeting new people every week?). But the season finale was great, so I'll stick around for a bit to see where things go. Revenge, on the other hand, has had me addicted since episode one. And 666 Park Avenue looks like an intriguing blend of both of these shows (fantasy elements of Once, sexual tension and guilty pleasureness of Revenge).

Of course, I will sample as many pilots as I possibly can, which may lead to some schedule revisions. These are the shows that caught my eye following upfronts... but I have to say, I'm once again much more excited for midseason with The Following on Fox; Do No Harm and Infamous, plus the return of Smash, on NBC; Zero Hour on ABC; and Cult on the CW.

Comments